Saturday, October 28, 2017
A briefing about sexual and reproductive health and rights in New Zealand has been sent to incoming Members of Parliament.
With our focus of whakamanahia: equity, access, choice, we make the following key recommendations:
- Fund free sexual and reproductive health visits for all young people under 25.
- Expand contraceptive options funded by PHARMAC, specifically a hormonal intrauterine device (IUD).
- Initiate a review of abortion law with the aim of removing abortion from the Crimes Act 1961, and managing abortion as an integrated part of a comprehensive sexual and reproductive health service.
- Ensure adequate resources and support for teachers and schools to implement the Ministry of Education sexuality education guidelines.
- Develop a cross-Ministry action plan for improving sexuality and relationships education in schools in consultation with communities and organisations.
- Increase investment in sexual and reproductive health programmes in the Pacific.
You can download a PDF copy here.
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.