Thursday, October 29, 2015
In September, 193 countries adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals have the potential to shape global development for the next 15 years – if enough people know about them and support them.
Family Planning contacted 28 people from seven organisations across the Pacific region. We talked to them about the SDGs and found out what change they most wanted to see as a result.
They share their responses in this 2-minute video.
The SDGs and sexual and reproductive health and rights
Two of the SDG targets talk about achieving universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights:
• Target 3.7 “By 2030, ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health-care services, including for family planning, information and education, and the integration of reproductive health into national strategies and programmes.”
• Target 5.6 “Ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights as agreed in accordance with the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and the Beijing Platform for Action and the outcome documents of their review conferences.”
To learn more about the SDGs visit: http://www.globalgoals.org
To learn more about what the SDGs mean, a New Zealand and Pacific website will go live in 2016: http://oursdgs.nz/
We want as many people as possible around New Zealand and the Pacific to know about the SDGs.
We also want people to understand the importance of investing in sexual and reproductive health and rights – not only for targets 3.7 and 5.6, but for the achievement of all the SDGs.
We’d love your help!
There are three things you can do right now:
• Watch and share our video: Post our video on your Facebook page or Twitter
• Join the conversation: Use the comments to tell us what change YOU would like to see as a result of the SDGs.
• Tell everyone: Explore the Global Goals website and use their resources to spread the word
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.