We manage projects in the Pacific with the aim of advancing the sexual and reproductive well-being of Pacific people.
Focus on the Pacific
For over a decade we have managed a number of projects in the Asia-Pacific region. Since 2010 our focus has been on the Pacific region.
We work alongside local colleagues and partner organisations, relying on their knowledge, expertise and insights to ensure projects best meet local needs.
We provide guidance and support in addressing challenges they may face.
Kiribati – Healthy Families Project
One of our current projects is the Healthy Families Project in Kiribati.
This project is implemented in partnership with the Kiribati Family Health Association and New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The project aims to increase access to sexual and reproductive health information, skills and services in South Tarawa, Abaiang, Abemama, Aranuka, Butaritari, Marakei and North Tarawa resulting in a reduction in sexually transmissible infections and unplanned pregnancies.
- training clinical and health promotion staff to improve the quality of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) service delivery
- implementing mobile clinical services, introducing new Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials and expanding health promotion activities to improve access to SRHR services and information
- informing and educating Kiribati leaders to help build an enabling environment for the improvement of SRHR
- conducting research to establish a sound evidence base for future policy.
Vanuatu - Planem gud famili blong yumi project
This project aims to reduce unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmissible infections among Ni-Vanuatu in North Santo, Torres and Gaua, and South Pentecost. The project is implemented in partnership with the Vanuatu Family Health Association (VFHA) and funded by New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The project offers an integrated approach to improving sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) by:
- Delivering clinical training programmes to VFHA nurses and Vanuatu Ministry of Health staff from target locations.
- Delivering outreach clinics to communities of need.
- Developing, implementing and advocating for SRHR strategies by community leaders in target locations.
- Delivering SRHR workshops to community leaders from communities of need.
- Discussing the projects SRHR report with political and community leaders.
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.